What you’ll need:
- An 8 cup French Press
- A scale and a timer
- A burr grinder
- Clean, hot water (200-205°F)
- 56g of coﬀee ground on coarse
- A small spoon or paddle for stirring
- Heat the water and rinse the press to preheat. Dump the rinse water.
- Grind the coﬀee.
- Place the French Press on the scale and add the ground coﬀee.
- Tare the scale.
- Hit the coﬀee with 100 grams of water (and start your timer) to wet all the grounds and cause the coﬀee to bloom. (When the coﬀee is freshly ground, you’ll see quite a dramatic bloom as all of the grounds become oxygenated and the gases in the coﬀee are released.) Bloom for 30 seconds then gently stir to ensure even wetness.
- Add remaining water and ﬁll to top.
- Place the plunger on top of the press and at 4 minutes press down ﬁrmly and slowly.
- Immediately pour all of the coﬀee into awaiting cups or into a decanter. This avoids over extraction of the coﬀee which leads to bitterness.
- Toss the coﬀee into the compost and enjoy a rich, delicious cup of coﬀee.